Statute of limitations are laws that set deadlines for filing a claim or lawsuits. This is why it is said: “if you snooze on your rights, you lose them.”
In other words, lawsuits MUST be filed within a certain period of time. When the specified time, designated by the statute of limitations passes, your opportunity to a legal resolution, in an otherwise viable dispute, may become time barred, forever!
The purpose behind Statute of Limitation is to give a sense of finality to legal claims within a "reasonable" length of time. Generally, the legislatures determine what period of time is "reasonable" for each type of legal claim and it may widely vary from state to state.
Here are some California Statutes of Limitations:
• Personal injury: Two (2) years from the injury. If the injury was not discovered right away, then it is One (1) year from the date the injury was discovered.
• Breach of a Written contract: Four (4) years from the date the contract was broken.
• Breach of an Oral contract: Two (2) years from the date the contract was broken.
• Property damage: Three (3) years from the date the damage occurred.
• Claims against government agencies: You must file a claim with the agency within Six (6) months (for some cases, 1 year) of the incident. If the claim is denied, you can then file your lawsuit in court but there are strict limits.
• Some crimes, such as murder, are considered to be so heinous that they often have no statute of limitations period.
Please note: This is just a brief overview of Statute of Limitations and not specific legal advice for your case. As you know laws change and that the Statute of Limitations laws can be a whole lot more complex than the they appear.
To determine the accurate parameters of the Statute of Limitations on a claim is not easy. If you have a serious legal issue and claim, you should promptly speak with a Competent, Credible and Experienced Lawyer right away. That is because if you snooze on your claims, you could lose your rights to recovery.
As your Comprehensive Communication Platform for Law and Justice, here at www.ChosenLawyers.com we have developed a state-of-the-art, Private and Confidential LIVE CHAT Communication System for you and your Chosen Lawyers. So, when a legal claim arises, competent legal help is a click or call away, anywhere, anytime.